The 2011-2012 NHPS School Budget cuts funds for textbooks by $166,255 leaving only $617,777 to cover nearly 20,000 students or $31 per student per year
The average textbook costs $70-120.
We are not even budgeting enough to update textbooks every 14 years.
We are working to ensure that all students have the materials they need to learn.
Click here to see our fact sheet
- Hosted a Mayoral Candidates Forum where all four candidates answered questions drafted by parents, students, and teachers..
- Held a public meeting to address parent and students concerns about NHPS budget priorities that featured Mayor DeStefano as our special guest..
- Secured an array of improved and expanded translation services for Spanish speaking parents across the district.
- Got NHPS to translate web page into Spanish.
- Secured improved discipline and bullying policies for the entire school district.
- Hosted a standing room only (116 people) public meeting to demand that the Superintendent make concrete improvements to address suspension and discipline.
- Got the school system to make sure that children can take textbooks home
- Stopped the Board of Education from passing a policy saying that parents need an appointment to visit their child’s school and that the Board chairman can stop discussion whenever he wants at Board of Ed meetings
- Began door-to-door neighborhood outreach and outreach outside of schools to speak with parents
- Held a press conference at Katherine Brennan school to urge the principal to communicate with parents about serious school incidents
- Conducted a series of parent trainings
- Teach Our Children was founded and began conducting parents through door to door outreach in January 2006